Thursday, September 13, 2012

DC Delights

How could I have lived 32 miles from one of the most eclectic, intriguing, and culturally diverse cities and not visited some of the places that I did this past weekend in our nations capitol, Washington, DC. Growing up so close to DC, you become desensitized to what a phenomenal city it truly is.
I decided for my 31st birthday, I would treat myself to some small luxuries of the Capitol Hill area. This historic district is dare I say the epicenter of the city with the Capitol building overlooking all it's fellow monuments and mall dwellers. This area also separates the Northeast and Southeast portions of the city. I chose The Liason Capitol Hill, a unique modern boutique style hotel to rest for the night. It also houses the Art and Soul restaurant, a city favorite for grabbing a bite to eat. The hotel service was delightful, even putting cupcakes and vouchers for complimentary drinks in our room for my birthday.
Upon arriving in the city, we ventured over to the Capitol building. I wasn't expecting it to look like a Floridian embassy. Tropical flowers, palm trees you name it. We then headed over to the National Gallery of Art. I had never been to the gallery, and I was hoping I would get the same powerful affect that the Tate gave me in London, or The Gustav Klimt Museum in Vienna. We opted for the East Wing, with more contemporary viewings. I was especially in love with the Tower Gallery exhibit of Barnet Newman's linear painting series. The Stations of the Cross. Magnificent.
After entering the rabbit hole in the sculpture garden and cooling our feet in the infinity pool, we headed back to Liason to get ready for our amazing dinner at Aqua Al 2. This fresh food italian eatery is located near the Eastern Market, which was wrapping up it's Saturday produce and Flea Markets when we arrived. This area is so unique. I could see my husband and I settling in there and making a home. The ambiance in Aqua was quaint, clean and quirky. The food was fresh, organic, and so simply executed. My favorite part was the mascarpone cheese drizzled with olive oil, on a slice of french bread topped with fresh fig. Intense pleasure!! Our parting gift a nice satchel of basil seeds to grow at home.
Back at the hotel we drank fresh mojito's and watched a heat lightning storm on the rooftop by the pool. Sitting back in my graphic mixed media dress from Cache, I realized how blessed my life has truly been with my husband.
I had such a beautiful weekend and gained a new appreciation for a city that is calling my name.


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment